Saturday, January 2, 2010

Wanda and Brrrrrr



After a phone call from Sue, I drove out to the farm to get Sanna and Wanda out of the cabin field and bring them over to the barn and see the water is running full blast out of the cabin water tank. Mike turned on the water to fill the tank, then went off and forgot it was running. It ran for 3 hours and made a pretty nice stream that was freezing over pretty quickly as even at noon it was only 3 degrees. An email came this morning from a lady wanting to see updated pictures of Wanda so I brought my camera with me. It was way to cold to spend time cleaning her up for the pictures, in fact I sat in my running car making her stand quietly for the wait. It was a good lesson for her. Sanna is sold, although I won't mark her gone until she is actually paid for and delivered, we will be delivering her in 2 weeks so Wanda will be hauled to Bridlewood for weaning soon. We may as well bring Valiant with her, they can comfort each other. Jenis will sure be glad to see him go.
Before leaving the farm, Mike helped me check Clara by holding her while I pulled on her nipples to collect some colostrum but not enough came out to test. We discussed moving her into the barn for this cold spell but Clara isn't happy locked in a stall where she can't see the other horses. We spread some straw in her shelter and will hope she doesn't deliver until the weather moderates. The electric bucket will be brought out tomorrow to get the stall ready. Karin is going to help me tomorrow get Anni ready to show and after dinner, I'll take Nancy home for her. I think its a GREAT trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment