Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Clara's Big BLACK Colt

Clara and her newborn son.

He is so very black in the white snow.

This morning I got to the farm right at 7:30am, heard some banging before I got to the stall, look in and Clara is in the process of delivering her foal. I run out to yell at the walkers who are mom, Rachel, and Diane get back in and the back hooves are just coming out. By 7:33am the baby is born. I grab the rags I have ready and start drying the foal off, Between Rachel and I we move him out of the birthing area to get away from all the soaking water. Diane calls Mike and soon the boy is up and nursing on his own. By 8:28am I was on my way back to work, the baby is strong, pitch black with one white hoof and VERY hairy and strong. OK, We are kind of disappointed, we thought we were pretty much guaranteed a BUCKSKIN. Raven's black genes are so strong I guess we were pushing the odds.
Below is a face shot, he looks so much like his daddy.

He has one white hoof, I'll have to get pictures of that later, today there is too much snow on the ground and the pictures taken inside were not usable.

No comments:

Post a Comment