Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Weaning Day for 2

 I took the golf cart up to the barn early to check on the weanlings. Rosaleigh's colt has lost his halter but all were well. No calling and I didn't even see any of them sticking their noses under each other to nurse.  They were glad to see me. I stepped in to get a few pictures. Left to right below is Madiera's colt, Irish's colt and Tatiana's filly.

Madiera's colt was the first one to come up for attention. He really does love people.
Rosaleigh's colt was not going to let me pet him and I didn't push it. 
He went over to hang with Madiera's colt.

Below is Tatiana's filly and Rosaleigh's colt. 
There was frost this morning at only 37 degrees Diane came out with a winter coat on for the walk. On the walk we noticed Phil's truck and Nolan's truck at Spark's house. They are putting in a new furnace for them.
When we reached the barn we stopped to check out the weanlings. I took the video below:
 We also stopped at Diane's to see her finished basement. She had worked all weekend to make it ready for the refugee Afghanistan family that will be here by noon. She had it looking wonderful.
I quit at 8:00 am to pick up mom and Aunt Jinnie for Bereans this morning. If you would like to read about our morning there click HERE. After we got home mom rested while I went home to make some lunch. Karin arrived while we were eating lunch. Aunt Jinnie had a FedEx package that had to go out today so I took that to Dollar General while Karin stayed with mom and Aunt Jinnie. When I got back I went out to work with the weanlings. I was able to handle Rosaleigh's colt but didn't have a halter to put on him with me. Irish's colt had lost his halter I found the one Rosaleigh's colt lost and put that on Irish's colt then had him practice leading.  Tatiana's filly's halter had slipped over one ear and I was able to put that back in place and handle her a bit too without stressing her out. These 4 babies are really sweet. At 4:30 pm Mike put his 4 wheeler in the back of the trailer and we went out for the last two foals.  As soon as we were in the field, he unloaded the 4 wheeler and took that up the hill, found Jewel, haltered her and came leading her down with her colt following. 
I took Jewel from him, gave him another halter and he went up to get Lily. Meanwhile I put Jewel in the trailer. The colt ran around some but then stood at the back of the trailer but did not go in. When Mike came with the 4 wheeler leading Lily the entire herd followed them down to the trailer and we were surrounded.
Mike took Jewel out of the trailer, I led Lily in and her filly stepped right in with her. The doors were shut a halter put on the filly and the filly tied then Lily taken out the side door and tied to the trailer so the filly could see her. Next Mike took Jewel led her into the trailer and this time the colt followed her. This time we shut the divider to make it easier to put a halter on her colt except he wasn't having that and with the 3 of them in the front there wasn't enough room for Mike to get to the colt so we ended up taking Jewel out the back then just left the colt in loose with Lily's filly. Mike took the trailer down to turn around so I took a few pictures then. Below is before he pulled away.

When we got home was when we worked on getting a halter on him. He was wild, did not want that and fought us but with two of us working we got it on. Both foals were given a Quest Plus de-wormer and both stood well for that, go figure.  Next came the unloading part. That is at the end of the video below:
By this time it was getting dark. Mike parked the trailer here then took the truck home. Mark was changing the oil in the tractor and had just finished up so we both ended up at the garage at the same time. He had already eaten supper so I just scrambled some eggs for mine and then had some hot tea to warm up.  Last night I brought down the electric blanket and that is now on high. It will feel so good to climb into a warm bed tonight. I'm thrilled all 6 foals are now home safely. I'm thrilled at how quiet they are with Dancer in with them. Hopefully Jewel's colt will not lose his halter and will realize we are good. He has amazing movement.



No comments:

Post a Comment