Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Traveling to Gulf Shores

We left yesterday after supper, pulling out at 5:45 pm and the van was full of baby equipment along with luggage for the 2 babies, one 2 year old, one 5 year old and 4 adults heading down.  We had an uneventful drive down stopping twice for gas and then breakfast at a Waffle House on the Baldwin Expressway. We crashed at mom's condo until Rachel's was ready for us to move in. They were busy doing the deep cleaning so we didn't stick around. We changed into our swimsuits and headed right over to the pool. The sun was shining, the pool water refreshing and all was well.

We played then napped at the pool until we awoke to thunder. A storm was moving in from the gulf. We didn't make it back to mom's condo without all of us get soaked. We got back just in time for lunch. Joan served a big delicious taco salad, plenty for all and all enjoyed it. We spent the rest of the time playing games and babies.

Rachel sent a text around 2:30 pm that her condo was done and we could move in. We loaded back up the van, jumped in, turned the key and nothing. The battery was dead. BUT I thought, no problem, Sarah brought her jumper cables and I have AAA. Joan jumped the van, we drove it over to Rachel's and just left it running while I called AAA. I told them there is an Napa auto store right on 59 near Walmart, I would drive the van there and buy the battery but I wanted AAA to put it in. I was informed with a "Mam, we do not install batteries from other stores, you must buy the battery from us." her next statement was we will send someone out by 5:00 pm.  I figured that gave me time to borrow Joan's van and run to Walmart for groceries but just after I arrived I received a call from the mechanic and he told me he would be at my place in 15 minutes. I called Sarah's, Stephanie's and Rhoda's phone trying to get someone to go out and meet him but no one would answer their phone. They were all out at the pool. Finally Rhoda saw she missed a call and called back then said she would go down to meet him. As soon as she hung up the mechanic called to say he was here but no one was around. Well Rhoda stepped out as soon as he hung the phone up. The next call was from Rhoda, the mechanic told her he doesn't have this battery and the best thing he could do for us was give us a jump. NOPE, I had her give the phone to him and told him, that's not good enough I WANTED to buy the battery but was told they would not put it in if I did and we WILL have a new battery today.  He said that he would have to drive all the way to Mobile to get one but by this time I was exhausted, frustrated and not very nice and said, "that is not my problem."  Later he told Rhoda, I would have put the battery in for your mom if she just bought one from Walmart but she is pretty upset, so instead having Rhoda call me back he took off to get the battery. I got back with the groceries, took Joan's van over and was walking back when he arrived the second time. He sheepishly looked at me and told me, "they had one in Orange Beach." I apologized for my rude words, he got the battery installed and all is well. Rhoda was making dinner by the time he was done. We ate and now at 7:00 pm everyone is sound asleep, except me and I will be soon.
Another nice review came in from the people that stayed in the barn apartment over the weekend. They gave me 5 stars and wrote:  It was really nice to stay at Judith's horse barn. It was spacious and great location for us. The girls loved the horses! Judith was a great host and the baked cookies from her daughter-in-law we're amazing and a nice treat after a long travel. I recommend staying here!

No comments:

Post a Comment