Saturday, September 29, 2018

The GREAT Secretariat

Rachel's condo has NetFlix and wouldn't you know NetFlix had the movie Secretariat. Last night for the very first time I was able to watch this movie.  I was born in 1955 and we grew up without a television but I read everything I could about this big red horse born March 30th, 1970.
I was so thrilled with each race he won and would scour the newspaper for any news. When he won the Belmont, the last jewel of the triple crown by 31 lengths, I knew for sure THIS was the super horse of the century. Never before and still never after has ANY horse won that long of a race by that many lengths.
I was completely obsessed with horses and our first horse (not including the pony Champ) was a Thoroughbred mare and the 2 of us would spend hours riding through the fields and woods, galloping bareback with the wind blowing my hair and I would dream of the races. Of course the book The Black Stallion by Walter Farley hooked me and I read all of his books we could find in the library. IF I wasn't riding I was reading about the Black's races or any other horse book I could find. My mom had the Horseman's encyclopedia which I would study for hours. 
Last night after watching the movie all of my childhood memories came rushing back, the thrill of the win, the amazing way HOW this big red stallion won and the excitement of that triple crown win.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, your childhood sounds a lot like mine! I was so in love with horses, and I loved to read, so of course I also devoured every horse book I could find! My girlfriends (also horse obsessed) and I would spend every recess playing horses and having horse shows,where we were the horses. I loved the Silver Brumby books. We'd play that for hours in my friends back yard at sleep overs. What a glorious childhood. Sadly, I gave it all up when I became a silly teenager. I regretted it all of my adult life, but thanks be to God, I found Sunny!! He is my heart horse and a dream come true. Proof positive of God's infinite grace.

    ReplyDelete