Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Horrified Reaction

I overslept this morning not waking until after 6:30 am but that was because I was up long into the night with pain. After the 8th painful mostly sleepless night I decided enough was enough and made an appointment at the Orthopedic center to get my leg looked at. 9 days ago I was kicked by a horse, the leg is painful, swollen, black and blue from my thigh all the way down to the sole of the foot. The appointment was set for 4:00 pm.
On the walk today Diane was notified that Dot Hoerr died. Dot was such a special lady and friend. 
Dot was one of our favorite vacation Bible school teachers. I can still remember her teaching us the song, How Great Thou Art. She was an amazing lady. She led the choir for a few years, played the piano for choir for lots of years, sang beautifully, and raised 6 children to love the Lord.
The Berean work today went well, David Beutel and Mary Ginzel came to help. We had all the Bible requests entered by 10:30 am. The feeding was done and the mares all checked after lunch. Karin couldn't come train today as she isn't feeling well. 
I was on time for the doctor appointment and taken right in. The leg was x-rayed and the paper work filled out. When the doctor arrived and asked, "what are you here for today?" I told him I'd been kicked 9 days ago. He looked at the leg he was horrified and asked, "how many times did he kick you?" It was only then I realized he thought a PERSON had kicked me.
The diagnoses was a torn MCL. The medial collateral ligament is one of the four major ligaments of the knee. It connects the femur (thigh bone) to the tibia (shin bone) along the inside of the knee. Thankfully surgery is not recommended. I just have to wear a knee brace for stability for a couple months. They fitted me for a knee brace had me model the thing and thankfully before heading out the door I asked, "is this covered by insurance?" That couldn't be answered so I asked how much was it and this time I had the horrified reaction when he said, "$490.00" I immediately started removing the brace while saying, "nope, not going to wear this home." Once home I got on ebay and found one for $24.00 with free shipping and ordered it. It should be here in a few days. 
Mark drove me, Ruth and mom to church tonight. Greg Rumbold had the service and interesting enough the sermon was on when Jacob wrestled with an angel and ended up with a permanent hip injury walking lame the rest of his life. Sometimes God just needs to get our attention. Hope I don't need to walk lame the rest of my life before I listen. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Dot. I have such fond memories of her when the choir would come to Alabama when I was a child. Dot took such an interest in people - even children.

    ReplyDelete