Friday, February 28, 2014

Its a BOY!

How I love the set up we have for foal watch. A nice warm apartment with a nice warm bed that includes an electric blanket and the monitor right next to the bed. I felt very comfortable drifting off to sleep around 10:00 pm knowing I would hear Lily's water break on the monitor. Sure enough a little after midnight I heard the water hitting the floor. Looking on the monitor I could see Lily lay down and get ready to push.
The hard part of the night was waking up Emily. She was so deep in sleep when I told her it was time she thought she must be late for class or something. She made it out to the stall area in time to help with the delivery.

We video taped the birth but it was so cold we didn't video the colt standing or nursing.  He was born around 12:23 am. We were ready with towels and blankets and the propane heater turned to high, what a cruel thing to leave a nice 101 degree uterus to be dropped out into this cold hard world of 3 degrees! He is a strong colt determined to get up on his feet even before Lily got up. Once we were sure he was getting up on his own and dry enough we went back into the apartment to watch on the monitor. He found the milk bar around 1:20 and by 1:27 am I went out to make sure he was actually sucking well. By 1:45 am I was back at the house climbing into our nice warm bed.
What a good nights work!

No comments:

Post a Comment