Wednesday, February 12, 2014

HELP for an Exchange Student

Stacy called to find out if anyone from Bridlewood or the surrounding barns would have room for an exchange student. THIS GIRL WANTS TO COME TO AMERICA so badly. Is there anyone out there with room? Please read the information below then contact Stacy directly, all of her information is listed. 

My name is Stacy Bowman and along with being actively involved with the Horsemen's Council of IL for years as a clinic coordinator, breed demonstrator (husband Frank served as President and Executive Director), I am an international coordinator for a non-profit national high school student foreign exchange program known as ASPECT Foundation (AmericanHostFamily.org). 

I have a very dynamic 15-year-old girl from Germany who happens to be actively involved for the past 5 years in vaulting, and I am desperately trying to find a host family for her here in Illinois that also shares her love of this sport! I am hopeful that you can help me find my German girl a single, or couple to host her for the upcoming 2014-5 school year. 
Here are some facts to know about the hosting experience:
1) She will have her own insurance while here on program!
2) She will have her own spending money (clothes, school registration, entertainment)
3) Host families can be a single adult, empty-nesters, families with small children, same aged, or no children
4) Students arrive the first week of August prior to high school starting and leave after school is out/graduation
5) Host families are asked to provide a bedroom (can share with same-aged or close sibling of same sex), place to study and share meals. If she chooses to purchase a lunch card vs. take a sack lunch, she is responsible for purchasing it. There is a $50/month tax deduction for hosting a foreign exchange student. 
6) As her coordinator, I will take care of all paperwork needed during her stay as well as keep in touch with host family and student on a monthly basis. 
7) The host family application process can be easily done online at our website: www.aspectfoundation.org
They can directly access the Host Family information page at: http://www.aspectfoundation.org/host/index.html. I will be more than happy to help them go through the online form to get started so give me a call and let me know which high school to contact to see if they have room available for her. 
 It is incredibly rewarding to be able to share our heritage with a young bright student from another country! Host families are truly American ambassadors! These kids are vetted. They must have good grades, a good proficiency level in English, and be recommended for an exchange program. These students want to come so badly that they give up one year of school back home to attend a public high school here as credits don't transfer back home. They want to ride a school bus, have a locker, participate in school sports and activities - none of which they can do in their home countries! 
Please say yes to Sina! She has a 13-year-old sister at home, and also enjoys volleyball, soccer, skiing, drawing, reading, music and meeting friends. She plays the transverse flute as well. Did I mention that she is adorable?! Help me find Sina a loving family here in central Illinois!
I appreciate any help you can lend! She is anxiously awaiting to hear that an American host family has chosen her! Please call me with any and all questions!
Sincerely,
Stacy Bowman
ASPECT Foundation - area coordinator
Pleasant Plains, IL 

Here is Sina's letter to her prospective host family!

Dear host family,
first of all I want to thank you for giving me the chance to spend a year in the US with you and for letting me be part of your family. In the following letter I'm trying to give you an impression of my personality and to introduce myself, my family, the things I normally do, the place where I live and things like that... Okay, first of all I'm a girl, I'm fourteen years old and my name is Sina. 
Since my birth I live in Germany. My school is a half mile away from my home. Every day I walk with my sister to school or my Dad takes us by car. Now I am going to the 9th grade.
My favorite subjects at school are sports, maths and sometimes Latin. I'm good in logical thinking. There for strangely enough I don't like physics.. . This year, three friends and I are tutors of a 5th grade. I'm a little bit nervous about the expectations from the pupils. But for all that I think we will manage it.!
My family, which means my parents, my sister and I, live in a little sweet house with a smart garden, together with two cats, a black-white one, her name is Lilly and a white-brown-black striped one, his name is Leon. Two years ago, Lilly had four little baby cats, but we had to give them away. What a pity! My father is a bachelor of business administration and my mother as an industrial engineer. My younger sister visits the same school as I. Sometimes my sister and I quarrel, but the most time we like each other.

My family does very much sport, my Mum jogs, my Dad plays volleyball, my Sister likes to dance in a group and I have been vaulting in a club for five years now. My parents drive me to the stable, because waking takes too much time. Nine other children train together with me on the horseback. We have two coaches, one to move the horse and the other one to correct our exercises. After 1 and a half hour they pick me up. Every week I train two times. Of course I do to many tourneys in different performing categories all over the year. I don't know your know-how of the performing categories but we start in A at the moment. Next year I'm going to coach younger kids from my club. I hope they're after my training better than before. Certainly, I rode a horse, but only at vacation when I visited a farm. I didn't take lessons in it when I'm at home.
Next to vaulting, I do volleyball and I play soccer, both in a gym in our village one time per week. Soccer I only play with friends from my school and just for fun. I also practice athletics in a stadium and just for fun too. In the winter I go skiing in the Alps since I’m six years old. Earlier I had done tourneys with a sporting club in my age group but since two years I stopped it because I am too lazy to get up at 5 am at my weekend. All the same I do a special training in the regionally gym for skiing once a week in the summer to stay fit. I always do it with the TSV club. This year, I want to learn hip hop dancing in the same club in which my sister dances too. But I also like meeting friends, going to the cinema, watching movies, spending time at the Internet or going shopping. This year I have finished playing the transverse flute after six years of practice. In Germany, the United States are always present, like in the news, the American movies or with the music. You always hear about the school spirits there and I want to experience all of it. I would also like to be part of an American family – your family. So I'm really excited about meeting you in the summer and I hope we will have a great and exciting time. 

I would describe me as a person who knows what she wants, a happy and funny one, of course someone who can laugh with friends, family,.. about funny situations.., open-minded, confident and very athletics, but sometimes I can be stubborn and ambitious. Sometimes I am a little bit to lazy to keep my room in order. But don't be afraid . My room usually looks okay and I'm trying to keep it clean.
Oh and at least I want to say that I were two times in England for language vacations each time for three weeks. There I also lived with an English family. There I got some experience how it is to live in another country with a native family and to be away from my own family. I had no problems to stay away, because I got many friends and it was a very exciting time.
There is so much I've already written and so I'm finishing my letter now.

I want to thank you again for giving me the chance to spend one year in the USA. It has always been a big dream for me and although I'm going to miss my family and my friends. I'll be happy for the chance to stay there. Okay, maybe I miss them only a little bit.
Can't wait that you show me the USA!!
 Many greetings, 
Sina

No comments:

Post a Comment