Saturday, January 9, 2016

snow pipes horses snow grandkids

An early trip to Sams club was on the schedule. Benj & Kristin and David & Stepanie are serving lunch at church tomorrow and need me to pick up carrots, spinach, celery, and 108 clementines. But there were no clementines. After a search in the produce area I found someone to ask. The stores are having problems getting fresh produce shipped in, the flooding is causing the problems. I was wondering why the produce section seemed like slim pickins and the cost of the fresh fruit had sky rocketed.
Once home Mark and I worked on putting together the frame for the solar system Mark is putting up on the south side of the big barn. Those pipes weigh 70 pounds each and needed to be carried out then threaded together. The snow started falling as we were working. We took a break after a couple hours of hard labor. Karin arrived to work horses and today I got to watch a bit how she does this. She brings all the mares in at once, round pens them together then picks one to ride. The rest are just loose in the arena while that mare gets worked. Once she is done with that mare, she rides her near the next one picked to be ridden, unsaddles the one she was riding, throws the saddle up on the one standing waiting for a turn and so on until all get ridden. I was amazed at how the mares wait their turn, stand quietly for tacking and mounting and the entire time they are just loose in the arena. Then it was back to the poles. We didn't finish getting them together before I had to leave for Bloomington. Our plans for today were changed because of a sick grand child. The plan had been to meet Ben and Taunya at 1:00 at the shop and switch cars, they taking ours to the wedding and us taking theirs and their three children to the Pancake Supper at the Fellowship Hall.  Well Jack woke up with a fever cancelling that plan. The snow was really falling on the drive to Ben and Taunya's, I am so thankful Mark put snow tires on the car. I forgot the camera so no pictures of my 3 adorable Bloomington grandchildren. We had a fun afternoon and evening. Rhoda and Lee are on their cruise and left their dog Ruby there and the kids had a blast playing with her. The trip home started out ok but the closer I got to home the worse the roads got. By the time I got to 474 the drifting was bad, the wind was howling the snow was blowing hitting the car, slamming into it and moving it sideways. Even going 40 miles an hour seemed too fast. Smithville road was even worse, the drifts had covered the road in places so deep I was just crawling along praying I was ON the road. Have I mentioned how blessed I am to have a husband that makes sure the snow tires are ON the car before winter hits?
We are leaving early tomorrow morning to help David and Stef give lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment