Friday, December 19, 2014

The Blue Bomb

The phone call came at 1:42 am that the shippers for Magnum were going to arrived in an hour and a half. It took my brain a few minutes to realize that meant getting out of our nice warmed bed and walking out into the frozen 16 degrees. At least the stars were putting on a show. They were bright and twinkling in the black night sky. Magnum was not sure he should be asked to leave his siblings but followed up to the barn after a little encouragement. He was tied and groomed then a bale of hay brought in for the transport to Pagosa Springs, CO. At 2:55 am I slipped into the apartment to warm up for a few minutes but that ended up being very few, the truck and trailer showed up at 3:04 am. This transport company is called U.S. Horse Transport and the drivers were very professional. They have a unique offer of ship 4 and the 5th is free. Check them out on their website  ushorsetransport.com
Their first job was to make sure the circle drive was big enough for their rig without backing up and it was. The next thing they did was get the camera out, one driver held Magnum while the other took pictures from every angle. They had me sign a paper after a check list was filled out on his disposition, any lameness or injury as they checked him over. Once all the paper work was finished they led him up to the trailer. Magnum wasn't sure if he could step up into it without any other horses in sight but I picked up a front foot and placed it on the trailer then he stepped right in. The transport company was on their way at 3:22 am and I was on my way back to my warm bed for an hour and a half nap. It was sure hard to drag myself out of bed at 5:00 am but I was suppose to pick up Israel at 6:15 am in Peoria and needed to gulp down as much strong coffee as possible before heading out. Just before I was ready to go, Stephanie sent a text to say her work was called off.
That gave me the opportunity to head in to Diane's office to do that dreaded reconciling of the Horsemeister checkbook. I didn't think it would be that hard this time, I didn't write any checks this month, unfortunately that means the credit card will be hard next month. I think Diane was pleased that the check book and the bank balance MATCHED for the first time since I took over that job.
Since I had a free afternoon, Mark decided to surprise me with an early Christmas present, we drove up to Joliet, IL to pick out and buy a golf cart. We ended up with a 2008 that has 2011 batteries, seating for 4 adults and lights. The back seat folds down so buckets of grain or hay can be hauled and this thing has power.  They loaded it into the back of the truck with a fork lift for the ride home.
We arrived home shortly after 6:00 pm unloaded it and took it for a spin down to the mail boxes then up to mom's to deliver the mail. The power difference in the old golf cart and this golf cart is amazing. This one is fast, fast, fast. The old cart was taken up to the barn for the apartment dwellers and the new one put in the house garage. 
It is only a bit after 7:00 pm but I'm heading to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment