Thursday, July 7, 2011

Email from Emily

Hi Judy,
Lots has happened with Jewel since I emailed you last. She is doing great. I put her out in the pasture at night when it's cool and bring her in during the day. Saturday morning I went out to do chores and the pasture gate was open and Jewel was gone. I drove around looking for her for about an hour and couldn't see her anywhere. We called the police and all the neighbors to let them know she was lost. She had her yellow halter on which made her easy to identify. We had to go to a funeral so I quickly finished my chores and my closest neighbor kept looking for her. I got a call during the funeral that one of my great uncle's saw her with his binoculars about 2 miles from our place by some other horses. I had already looked there twice because I knew she would probably try to find other horses. They had her almost home by the time I got back. Later I found out that one of my grandpa's cousins who owns a small plane was going to fly around to look for her too. What amazing family I have. When something happens they are all there ready to help. Anyways, Jewell is back safe and sound. She is everything I dreamed she would be. I took her out for the first time on the road last night. She was very responsive to me, not spooky but cautious because of all the new things to see. It took a bit to get her over the bridge but she did it. Then I found a nice long, flat drive between 2 fields and when she saw that stretch she was ready to roll. Her gaits are wonderful. Not as smooth as a walker but very easy to ride. I LOVE her and I know we're going to have a lot of fun together. Thanks a ton for letting my train her. Emily
I can just see Jewel having a great time visiting all the neighboring farms. Thanks Emily for the update and we are also thankful to your great family who are all willing to help.
Yesterday we had a surprise on our walk, Karin arrived actually thinking the walk started at 7:00am and that she was late. Mom cooked breakfast for us, using eggs from free range chickens. The eggs were so fresh and orange, what a difference that makes from store bought eggs. It's enough to make me want chickens again. Perhaps next year we can start homesteading like my brother John.
Karin helped get the tack used on Saturday out of the trailer and put away correctly, then it was off to the library and to Aldis. Karin had vaulting practice, called as I was at Aldi's to ask if I had any wasp spray. There was a huge bumble bee nest in the electrical box of the big barn. Aldi had some and three cans were picked up and delivered to the barn. They used 2 cans trying to kill them all leaving one for a spare.
Sanna's filly is now nursing well, eating and drinking but still has diarrhea that comes shooting out like water. Hope she gets over this soon.
Steven Marchel drove in to start Ciera on ground work, he also teased DaMita, hosed down all the horses and fly sprayed them.
Three cars left from the Meister compound for church last night. Mark and I drove separate to pick up Sarah's car after church and the rest of the group was too big to fit in just one van. Willis Enhly had the service oh WHO is our neighbor, is it the down and out man hurt by the side of the road or is it the good Samaritan? We are to love others as our self and since our neighbor is everyone, this is not an easy task. When he started quoting the very verses we used on our walk we started looking at each other whispering, was Willis eavesdropping on us?

No comments:

Post a Comment