Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Farm

This morning all the horses were waiting for me as I pulled up in the truck. What looked normal, until I checked it out, was that all the Friesians were in their own paddock and the rest of the herd was in the middle paddock. I thought Mike must have put them all back. After a closer look, then realized all the gates were opened, so the horses just all felt more comfortable in their own paddocks. After our walk they were mixed up again so perhaps it is just at night they gravitate to their own. The middle paddock waterer is still leaking so Mike turned it off and opened up the far paddock for drinking. He has tried to fix it for the last few days but finally gave up and ordered new parts for it. He'll try to fix it right once the new parts come in. I unloaded the 5 bags of grain. I had room in the big can for 150 pounds of Raven's but was only able to put 50 pounds in the mare's can so one bag should be put in a mouse proof place but I didn't have time this morning to figure out where to put it and just left it on the shelf. Raven was grained and having the alfalfa bale in his shelter makes quite a difference in his hunger level. He is not as impatient with his grain if he is on a calorie rich alfalfa bale vs grass. The only other horse I grained was Jenis. She is nursing that big boy, pregnant, plus she gets ridden a lot so we need to pump grain in her to keep her weight up. Steven will be taking over Izadora's and Ciera's feedings so I didn't have to take the time to pull them out of the paddock. The paddocks really looked good this morning as far as manure. Steven did a great job cleaning them yesterday. Mike even noticed and called about how good they looked.

No comments:

Post a Comment