Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Storm


This morning by the time I got to the lake there was a rumbling of thunder coming from the west. We all started walking but I had to drop out to get Sanna covered while I had Mike there to help. Mike and Diane leave for Alaska tomorrow. Raven will be getting double duty today as Jenis should also be covered as I think we will be covering Ylse tomorrow. Ylse started showing an interest in Raven this morning instead of running back inside the shed. I drove home, cleaned out the car and headed for TEMCO at 8:25am to pick up the Berean mail. As I was getting back into the car, I happened to look up and saw the sky. There was a crescent of light that reached from the Southeast to the Northwest almost like a rainbow without color with BLACK clouds on either side, but the darker clouds in the West. I went back and told Martha Steffen to come see as I've never seen such an unusual cloud pattern. As I started driving down to Meister Brothers the dark intensified and the street lights started coming on. It was almost as dark as driving into a tunnel. Just as I got to the 116 and Airport road intersection the wind started howling and the rain started dumping down in sheets so thick the windshield wipers could not keep up. Just running from the car door to the office door I was completely soaked. Luckily Carolyn knew where there were new Meister Brother shirts so I was able to change into something dry. Our computer monitor was not working so we asked Mark to find us another and we LOVE the one he gave us. Not only does it work well, it is a flat screen and takes up much less room on the desk. When Mark asked if we got it working we said "yes and we are NOT GIVING it back!" He just laughed. He took it from the old conference room but he said he was going to order a bigger screen for that computer anyway. We had so much mail that we could not finish by lunch time and had to work after lunch for about an hour.
We have found enough hay, now we just need to sell a horse to pay for it. The Middle Grove farm neighbor has a beautiful alfalfa field and he is going to sell us his second and third cutting at $50.00 a bale, if he gets it up dry. We are going to have about 50 grass bales and 100 alfalfa bales plus what ever the Hanna City farm produces going into the winter. I'll be picking Autumn up Monday if she is in foal to Keegan and Anni and Knight up from Emily's on Thursday. Hopefully Emily will get to stay for a while. I want to get some new videos of her riding both Anni and Big Sally and driving Knight for the website.
4:25pm: Just got back from the farm. I met Steven Marchal, he had Lily and Ciera out grazing, He helped me with Jenis, getting her covered by Raven. Then Valiant was given a aloe/iodine bath. Sure hope this helps him, he is scratching himself raw in places. He didn't behave too badly with his bath. Steven has been working with him as far as tying and standing still on the lead rope and I think the cool water felt good to him. Raven was grained then I headed home to get ready to go to a wedding shower in Princeville, IL.

No comments:

Post a Comment