Saturday, August 1, 2009

Farm Work

The mares were called in at 5:30am, I actually woke up at 5:00am but could not make myself get out of bed until 5:25am, I must be getting lazy. After breakfast, Mark and I drove down to TSC and bought 2 round bale feeders, 3 bags of senior feed for Raven and 1 50 pound salt block. The bill came to almost $600.00. Diane gave me the new horsemeister credit card and I guess I just couldn't wait to break it in. We got to the farm around 8:30am, Mike and Steven were working on the shed paddocks for outside mares. They were just about done so while they were finishing up we unloaded the truck. Lily and Ciera were put in the small paddock and Steven brought Jenis and Sanna with their foals over from the cabin field and put them in the larger one. Sanna is in season now and was covered today by Raven and Jenis should be coming in soon. It was sprinkling rain when we started moving manure. We were able to get 3 dump loads until the field just got too slippery to pull the heavy trailer. We had Mike on the excavator, Mark on the skid steer, Steven on the ground, and me in the truck pulling the dump trailer. It was all working smoothly until the rain started in earnest. We decided to keep working and move the round bales in off the field. They were baled last night, they seem to be dry enough, time will tell if they mold on the inside or not. We got 31 bales for our second cutting, actually 9 more bales than the first cutting but we were very late cutting because of our very unusual weather. Mark would load 2 round bales into the dump trailer, I would drive the truck and trailer to the barn, pull in, Steven would dump the trailer and I would pull back out into the field. Mike was running the John Deere getting 2 at a time off the fields. I think we got it all in the barn in a little more than half hour. The rain just kept coming down so after Mark stacked the hay and cleaned off the skid steer we left for home. Diane had invited us for lunch but we were just filthy and both of us needed to shower. Once cleaned up we then headed to Taco Bell for lunch and Aldis for groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment