Thursday, March 26, 2009

Mud and Rain

This morning when I got to the farm, Mike was cleaning out one of the paddocks with the skid steer. He parked it, then after trying Jazz, asked me to hold gates while he moved in a couple of round bales. The first bale was put in the far paddock that opens up to the field. It is not too bad, there is no shelter there and the horses weren't staying in it long enough to make the mud too bad. The second bale he wanted to put in the middle paddock under the pavilion. I looked at the mud there and told him that is a foot or more deep, he will get stuck for sure. He went ahead and did it any way and came close to getting it stuck but made it out of there. We had more rain during the night and I'm getting discourage. We have a work day scheduled for Saturday and the weather looks like it will be rain changing to snow. I can't expect people to work in the rain and mud. I'm not complaining about the rain, the fields are actually turning green but each year I forget how bad the mud gets.
This afternoon, I drove back out to the farm to meet Steven Marchal. He helped me take boards off 2 stalls and open one up for a foaling stall to get ready for Salena. She is due April 4th. Steven helped me move Dakota and Myrrhcedes, Jamie Stone's horses inside so we could wean Myrrhcedes off Paris.
I brought Paris in to Bridlewood so the weaning process will go quickly. Paris is losing too much weight nursing Myrrhcedes and she is over 4 months old and ready to be weaned. Hope all goes ok with our vet visit tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment