Saturday, April 6, 2024

Rotating Potluck

 What good night's sleep we both had. We woke up with energy and ready to work and that is exactly what we did. I went out early to check on Lily and was pleased to see the carrot passed. She was fine and ready to go out to graze. I only had 1 huge pile of manure to pick up out of the indoor arena. After breakfast Mark and I went out to work on installing the new Horsemeister parking sign.

Below is the finished project although Mark still wanted to put some solar lights on it.
After that we went out to the field to dig a few more holes. We have 5 fencepost that need replacing.
Lily had been put out in the field, she and the colt moved up near the solar system while Mark was digging. The colt was laying down taking a nap and that is why only Lily can be seen in the picture below.
I needed to be at mom's by 10:00 am and we quit working at 9:45 am giving me 15 minutes to clean up. Aunt Jinnie was reading to mom and that meant I had time to give Molly a bath. Diane arrived around lunch time and took over. 
I spent the afternoon at the stove. The 6 pounds of hamburger were browned then seasoned with taco spices. While that was simmering I made a pot of split pea soup and while that was cooking started the cheesy carrots for pot luck tonight. The hamburger was done first and set to cool, the soup was done next. The pot made 6 quarts. 5 were frozen and 1 was put in the fridge for another day. While the carrots were baking I went over to the barn to remove garbage and got a little distracted.  The people that came yesterday left a big bag of garbage and when I went to dump it I thought I saw one of my good spoons. After opening the bag I found it wasn't one of mine, it was a disposable that looked so real and so nice I decided I may as well remove them from the garbage, rinse then and run them through the dish washer. Then I saw the plates they used. Those were VERY fancy clear plates with a beautiful etching around the sides and center. Hmmm, may as well rinse those and stick them in the dishwasher too. They may melt but if they don't they are pretty enough to use for another fancy dinner. I couldn't stay and wait to see we needed to leave for potluck at 4:45 pm as Mark's car was out of gas and pot luck was at Alan and Jan's house in Dunlap. We had a wonderful time. Wayne and Lukie, Irvin and  Sharon, Bob and Dee joined us at Alan and Jan's. With rotating potluck we never know who is going to be attending. Well some people know if they keep the paper that is sent out at the start but I never seem to remember to look. 
The table setting was beautiful.
We really fine dined tonight. The food was exceptional. Alan picked up America's cut pork chops from Rabers and grilled them to perfection. We had a peach bbq sauce to top it if wanted and that too was excellent. Lukie brought a fantastic potato dish, Sharon brought a tangy salad, Dee brought 2 kinds of rolls, I brought the carrots and Jan made a lemon lime dessert served with coffee that put the meal over the top.
As wonderful as the meal was the fellowship was even better. We didn't leave there until AFTER our bedtime. A special thanks to Alan and Jan for hosting.









No comments:

Post a Comment