Friday, November 22, 2019

Rotating Potluck

Right after the walk, well as soon as the laundry was started and the horses fed I went to Stock + Field which used to be called Big R to pick up Equine Senior for Jenis and Zalena. After coming home and unloading all 500 pounds in two different barns and feeding the horses, I took the truck and trailer to Middle Grove to pick up Zalena. When I arrived I thought it may be safe to drive back but had to stop when I saw the standing water and mud on the road. It is just too muddy to drive back without getting stuck. The truck and trailer were turned around and parked and then I started hiking.
 When I reached the top of the hill the horses were spread out all over grazing or drowsing in the sunshine.  It was only 38 degrees but no wind and with the sun shining it felt warm for those black coated horses. There are about 20 horses in the picture below but they were pretty far away.
It took a while to find Zalena but I didn't mind the walk and it gave me time to check over the horses. Rosaleigh came right over to see me.
 After stopping to say hello she left me and went right over to Jewel and showed. She is in season.
 Rosaleigh will be bred to Evan in the spring, Jewel on the other hand is pregnant due June 15th.
 Isla saw me and came right over for attention.  She is such a friendly filly. Isla is a Warlander and is owned by Steven Marchal. 
 Indy was standing in the sunshine drowsing so I snapped a picture of her baby bump. She is our first mare due in 2020. She was bred to Evan and due March 18th, 2020 just shy of 4 months.
Below is another picture of Indy.
The next mare due is Oksana who is due March 20th, 2020. She too has a pretty big baby bump.
IF you would like to see the rest of the pictures from this trip click HERE. Zalena was found and she has lost weight. Zalena is the 3rd horse from the left in the picture below.
She was walked to the trailer, loaded and hauled back to the Hanna City farm and given a scoop of Equine Senior mixed with a scoop of the 12% sweet feed. She has a good appetite and plenty of energy so I think she will easily pick her weight back up but will need to stay here to be grained.  Tonight was rotating potluck at Irv and Sharon's house. We were the first to arrive and Sharon met us at the door exclaiming, "potluck is NEXT week!"  Of course she was joking but I admit for a second there I questioned myself.  She took us into the living room where she had hot wassail along with appetizers of shrimp cocktail, crackers and different cheeses.
Sharon had fresh flowers for the table.
When the other guests arrived we enjoyed visiting while snacking before heading to the dining room for the meal.  The food was amazing.  Sharon made Italian beef served over noodles, Jeanette brought an amazing salad and I brought the green beans. 
 Dwain and Mary Lu brought the dessert.

 Below Sharon is handing the salad to Jeanette.
 Everything was VERY good but the chocolate dessert was amazing, light, and so delicious Mark had two pieces. Each bite was a delight to the taste buds. 
Sharon's daughter Andrea and two of her grand daughters came for dessert and played the piano while we were enjoying that last bite. They also did all the dishes. We were treated like royalty. We moved back into the living room on comfortable chairs and all settled in for a good visit. This potluck is such a blessing.  
The picture below popped up on Facebook and I just had to laugh. Mom don't look at the bad words but to think there are actually people worried about the gas that cows expel.

No comments:

Post a Comment