Thursday, October 16, 2014

Hornet's Nest

We had 5 workers today at Berean, Lisa Waibel brought down Maddy and Cooper to help Eva Jean, Diane and me. We were all kept busy finishing the last of the Bibles around 12:30 pm. Mike came and helped load them in Diane's van. We stopped at the post office, dropped them off then ate lunch at Tyroni's just down the street from the post office. They have a nice lunch buffet for around $8.00 each. When I arrived home there were 2 new horses in the parking lot. Actually Mitchell Cooksey had arrived for his senior pictures with Avalon (a Raven daughter) and his new palomino gelding.

 Rhoda and I took Braelyn and Taegan down to their new house to see how far Phil and Anna had come on cleaning out the new old house. After a walk through of the house, machine shed and barn we left the girls with their parents then Rhoda and I drove to Chery Thompson's place in Washington, IL to take pictures and a video of her purebred Andalusian stud colt she wants to sell. Chery is out of town at a Andalusian show and Emily is house sitting. The weather was perfect, sunny and mild so with Rhoda and Emily's help we got a few pictures. This colt is going to be tall and practically pure white when full grown.
 I gave Rhoda the camera while I was running the video. That didn't work too well. The colt was very curious about what I was doing and would get right up in my face to see the video camera.
Emily put a halter on him and led him around a bit. He was very well behaved, practically putting his head in the halter for her.
  Chery has placed him for sale for $8000.00. He is registered IALHA, PRE REVISED (that means registered in Spain) DNA'd and microchipped. Someone is going to get a gorgeous Andalusian stallion. After checking prices for purebred registered Andalusian colts I realized what a great buy this is for someone. A colt of this quality is usually priced around $14,000.00 - $18,000.00 and this colt is absolutely correct. He really should be kept a stallion. I barely made it home in time to meet Ralph who was bringing his mare Dakota in to breed to Valiant. Dakota was taken over to the stallions and teased. She is not in yet but we will tease her every day. As I was walking back to the golf cart this snake was curled up in the driveway. I picked him up to put him in the barn but thought I may as well take a picture first. These snakes are good to have in a barn, almost better than a cat on keeping the rodents down in the summer time. This one was pretty lethargic.
 When walked into the house there were 5 or 6 wasps buzzing around in the mud room. Mark arrived home as I was swatting wasps and told me he knows right where they were coming from. He walked me to the back of the house then told me to look up.
 So the big thing on the side of the roof eve is actually a hornets nest, the wasp nest is at the very peak which wasn't near as big and probably not where the wasps were coming from.
The hornet nest is HUGE. I'm not sure how we are going to get it down, it is almost at the top of this 2 story house and very well established. Anyone have any ideas?

After supper Mark and I worked on splitting logs. We could hear chain saws buzzing from the neighbors. Everyone out here is busy getting ready for the winter to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment