Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Dreamer

Do you have dreams for the future? Dreams of what you would like to accomplish? Dreams can be a good incentive but what happens when the dream is accomplished and has become a nightmare? This actually happened to me years ago. When I was a child I wanted to be able to look out one of my 8 bedroom windows and see lots of horses. My room was called the cold room, it was the old sleeping porch  on the second story at Pleasant Home, lots of windows and no radiator for heat. Who cared about heat when the view was so beautiful. When I became older the dream became a bit more focused, since I could not afford lots of horses why not have a boarding barn. In 2002 I took over the operation of Bridlewood Stables. That was probably the hardest physical labor I've ever done.  After 5 years I figured out I could manage the horses fine but not the owners of the horses and decided it was time to wake up from this dream that had become a nightmare and no longer try to run a boarding barn.  Thankfully the instructor, Cathie Trent was able to rally the boarders so they could keep it open and run it pretty much as a co-op. Bridlewood is not a fancy barn but is world class on the care of the horses, the quality of riders over the last 23 years that have come out of that barn is almost legendary. I am proud to refer  equine dreamers to Bridlewood for lessons, people that call here wanting their daughter or son involved with horse lessons have a wonderful opportunity even if they don't have a horse. Bridlewood has some of the best lesson horses. 
My dream became more defined when Rhoda and I saw our first Friesian in the flesh. At that point my dream was to own a Friesian stallion and stand him for stud. In 2002 Diane, Ruth and I were able to purchase Raven and that was the start of the most wonderful dream, one that has not become a nightmare, one that can be shared and enjoyed with hundreds and through all the performances and wonderful foals our stallions have produced even thousands.
All thanks and all praise belong to God who made this dream possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment