Thursday, December 3, 2009

Where Do I Start

I thought this would be an easy day, HA! It started with a call from a lady that is going to be shipping Meike to Canada. She tells me that she will be here to pick her up on Monday or Tuesday. We have been waiting on the check to pay her off and when I tell the shipper the check was mailed 9 days ago, she says,"that doesn't surprise me, I've had mail wait for 2 weeks at the border." So assuming we can get a wire transfer to pay her off, how do I arrange the Health Papers to export to Canada in 4 days and 2 of the days are Saturday and Sunday. After an hour on the phone with the vet clinic we think we have found a way. The blood drawn on Tuesday will be sent overnight to a lab in Oklahoma, they will run the elisa test, fax the results to Springfield, IL along with our vet clinic in Morton, IL. Then they will overnight the original to me for a Saturday FEdEx shipment. I will drive to Morton, IL sometime tomorrow once the vet clinic has the fax from the Oklahoma lab and pick up the paper work, and on Monday I have a 9:00am appointment in Springfield, IL to meet with the state accredited vet to sign the papers, Monday afternoon she will be good to go.
After working on these details and going as far as I could, I headed first to Sam's and then to Walmart for groceries. We are hosting a dinner for 12 tomorrow and I have no food to serve.
After dinner Mark and I are working on addressing our Christmas cards when I get a phone call from Mike Honegger. He tells me that Ralph called him, all the horses are out and Mike is an hour away at a closing. I call Rachel, she, her husband Dave and her son David go to help Ralph as I am 20 minutes away. I received a call from Ralph that we are really in trouble, the horses did not stop at the edge of the field but are running in the far corn field. It is so black outside tonight, there is no moon and no stars peeking through the clouds, so dark that Ralph has his truck at the edge of the field with the lights on. Even our flashlights cannot pierce the blackness enough to see the horses. It feels like it is 10 degrees out. It is really 29 degrees but the wind is blowing so hard across the fields that Ralph, Rachel, Dave, and David are pretty frozen by the time I drive up. I don't know who caught the first horse but after catching a few the others followed along and they were able to get what we think are all of them into the paddocks. Rachel, Dave and David head home to warm up while Ralph and I tried to count heads but it was just too dark. We thought we got to 23 so quit. I guess we will find out in the morning if they are all there. I called Mike on the way back to tell him we think we have them all and he confessed to leaving the gate unlatched this morning. He put in some round bales, shut the gate, then drove the skid steer into the barn, meant to go back and latch the gate but forgot. It was nice of the horses to wait until Ralph drove up to actually notice the gate and escape.
We will sleep good tonight IF we can warm up. brrrrrrrrr

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that was fun running all over a black field on a black night looking for pitch black horses....David thinks from now on you should only buy white horses, they are easier to see at night...or maybe you could glue reflectors to their hooves? LOL!

    ReplyDelete