Thursday, December 10, 2009

The After Effects

This morning it wasn't as cold as predicted, it was 5 degrees above zero, instead of zero but the wind was fierce. The foals were very anxious to be fed their grain and the water was mostly open. I smashed some of the ice around the heater to open a bigger hole for drinking. I had no phone call from the farm so all must be fine. At this point the only calls are usually bad calls so I would prefer the phone not ring. After checking them all over, all have some mud frozen to them but Meike has frozen mud on her feathers so somehow that must be cleaned off before the transport company gets here. The last email from them thought they would be picking up in Minnisota sometime this afternoon which would put them at my place the middle of the night. I'll bring her into a stall tonight just in case. I'll need to bring out the heated water bucket for her. At least all of her paper work is done. This is the time I miss not having a heated indoor barn with warm running water. It sure would be easier to clean these babies up before they leave for their new homes.
Sometime today or tomorrow I'll need to take a trip down to TSC for more grain. Feeding 5 foals here at Bridlewood along with the 3 left at the farm we are going through more than one 50 pound bag a week. I bought 6 bags the last time shopping, 2 for here at Bridlewood and 4 for the Hanna City farm. It didn't help that yesterday I spilled a bucket of grain in the foal paddock, trying to get through the wind and snow then slipping on the ice. Just 2 weeks ago it was so nice that Rachel took pictures of the Friesians at the farm and I made the video below. How quickly the view from the window changes, no more green grass and mud, now it is all frozen ground with snow and ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment