Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ylse's Filly


Karin decided to spend the night, hoping Ylse would deliver. She was only at 250 with the mare predictor kit so there wasn't really that good of chance but at 2:50am she delivered a beautiful pitch black filly, she is very tall and has very curly hair. The placenta was delivered at 3:45am so I headed for bed. The filly was up and rooting around, hopefully she will be nursing fine by 6:00am.
8:57am: I drove back to the farm at 7:00am to make sure the filly had nursed, she had. Last night Karin called Rebekah, Rebekah told Anni and Jessica and Jessica told Sarah and Bethany so we had us an old fashioned birthing party. We finally got the girls settled down around 12:30am and I heard Ylse's water break around 2:40am. I woke up Karin and the girls, told them to call Jamie (who came out earlier wanting to know what in the world was going on) and Mike. Mike made it over in time to see the birth. We video taped the birth and have posted it here and on our website. Ylse was having a little trouble getting the filly's head out so I helped just a little, once the head was clear she did the rest like a pro. When I got back to the barn this morning, the filly is so strong, long legged and BEAUTIFUL. I'll get some pictures tomorrow. Today is BJ's funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment