Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lily


Brrr, another cold cloudy day but so far no rain, thank goodness. I can't remember a year where our paddocks have been so bad. It makes me very thankful for the barn. Eva Jean Schaefer and I had our hands full today at work. Eva Jean worked on just opening up the mail from 8:45am to 12:00pm. I was entering the names into the computer as fast as I could in fact I think we broke a record as far as mail today.
I didn't get out to the farm until 2:30pm and cleaned out Lily's stall and Ribbon's stall and refilled all the water buckets. Funny story, Karin came into the barn to put Ribbon in the stall until the vaulting practice and didn't recognize Lily. She said that couldn't be Lily as Lily was much bigger. Karin rode Lily on the cross country trail ride in Eminence, MO when Lily was just 2 years old and thought she was big then but now Karin is used to Ribbon and ALL our mares look small compared to Ribbon! The picture was taken when Lily was 3 years old while down in Kentucky with Steven Marchal. BTW Lily is HUGE right now, She is really showing on this pregnancy. Grace knew I was there to grain her so I just opened up the gate and let her out. She followed me over to the shed where we keep the grain. She will stand and eat without being tied. Grace is 24 this year and she is one of those high maintenance TB mares. She lost weight while nursing her filly last year and we are still struggling to put it back on. I'm going to have Dr. Hoerr float her teeth again, hopefully that will help. After she finished her grain I walked her to the field and turned her loose to eat grass. The good spring grasses are what will put the weight on her and as soon as we can get her out to Middle Grove the better. While she was grazing I had time to tease the Andalusian mare. Still no go with her but I think she is getting close. Today instead of mule kicking, that is kicking out with both hind legs, she was only kicking out with one. She is doing a lot of squealing and striking out with her front legs also. Raven was again disappointed so I took him over to the pasture to see if any of the other mares would come up and no one did. I needed to get Chiquita and Paris checked but neither mare would come up to the gate. Tomorrow I'll bring them to Raven to see if we can get any response from either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment