Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Trade For HAY

We had a good walk this morning but only one round. I had to leave for the Berean office. Today was a really good day there. We had a wonderful group of volunteers and got everything done for the week.  If interested in reading about our morning there click HERE.  As soon as I got home I moved one of the round bales off the field and put it in Ribbon's old paddock. I need to know if the horses are going to eat this not so good hay.  The horse's diet will be supplemented with grain and the hay doesn't smell bad, it just doesn't have as much nutrition as we would prefer.
The tractor was used to do that job then that bale spear removed and put on the skid steer for the next job which was to move all the bales from the far field over to ours. I quit moving bales at 4:00 pm, went inside to cool down and make Mark some supper then right after we ate we were at it again. Mark used the tractor and moved 2 bales at a time while I used the skid steer. By 6:30 pm we had finished moving them all off the field. I put 11 inside, 3 in paddocks and Ryan the farmer is taking the rest in exchange for all the work he did getting it put up. We really count on the 45-50 bales we usually get off of these fields for our first cutting. Now not only do we not have those home grown bales we will need to purchase bales that will cost 3 times as much as our own cost.  What a year we are having with losing Anna, her filly, Marika's colt, Roxanne's colt and now the hay crop. I am not complaining though as we have had plenty of wonderful years with perfect foals and plenty of hay. I just came in from teasing Hadassah and she is now out.  I have guests moving in the apartment tomorrow and will need to get that ready plus drive out to pick up Jewel and her colt. She should be in season NOW. I really should have picked her up Saturday but it slipped my mind until tonight. I'll take Roxanne out when I go tomorrow.  Rosaleigh and Madiera are still not coming into season. I have Dr. Hoerr coming on July 10th for ultrasounds so may just have them done too to see if I can do anything to bring them in. I would love to get them out on that good grass at Middle Grove.
Both of their foals are so friendly. They love attention from people. Rosaleigh's filly is quite the show off. AS her mom loses weight when nursing she gets to play outside while her mama is eating her grain. She is curious walking into the barns, breeding sheds, and stalls checking things out then comes running back out as if to say, "did you miss me?" She has a gorgeous neck line and fantastic movement. Hopefully it will cool down a bit so we can get a video of her. She has a lot of feather for such a young filly.

This filly is still for sale which surprises me and she is only $8000.00. Personally I would like to keep her, she can be bred to Valiant at age 3 and we lost Anna and sold Marika this year but my mama, sisters and husband all wants to know exactly how many horses do I need.  Madiera's colt is the other foal I'm surprised isn't sold. He is faded now but one can see the black coming under his foal coat. He will be black once his foal coat sheds out. I had a lady come to see him, he was perfectly well behaved but because he doesn't look black right now she didn't buy him. He not only is beautiful, he too is very friendly has has great movement. I'll have to get some updated pictures of him even if he looks brown now. Check out his picture below taken when he was 17 days old. He has that long Friesian neck, short back and of course he has the mega hair gene. He really is going to be spectacular! I'm asking $6000.00 but now that we need hay we will be negotiable.  In fact we would even trade him for 75 big round bales of good quality hay. He is good enough quality to be left a stallion if interested in standing a Warlander for stud. 


No comments:

Post a Comment