Monday, March 22, 2010

Lily's New Filly




What a beautiful picture of mom and filly right after birth. Thanks so much Rachel Sauder of momentscapturedbyrachel.com

This morning the wind is coming strong from the north and the waves are rolling in like white stallions. As the sun is starting to rise, the wind is catching the waves and throwing back the spray into long pink and gold manes rising out of the top of each wave and flowing backward. The gulf looks like hundreds of white chargers all touched with pink and gold.
We came in from the porch to start cooking breakfast when Diane called that Lily was delivering her foal. Diane and Rachel described the action as the back legs were delivered. This is exactly a month early but not unusual for Lily. Rachel then got on the phone and told me it was a boy. We called Steven Marchal to prepare him for a long day ahead as sometimes when the foal is born a month early they don't have the sucking reflex right away and he headed to my house to pick up a bottle and banimine just in case. Before he even left the house, Rachel called back to tell me it was not a boy but a GIRL, so Steven was called back to tell him it was a filly.
By 10:00am we decided we needed to call Hoerr Vet. Clinic, the filly is starting to root but won't latch on to the nipple or the bottle. Steven is milking Lily to get enough colostrum for the vet to pump into her little stomach. If this foal would be older, I would let it go on for a while but as she is a month early, I won't take a chance.
Rachel took some pictures and she has promised to email me some, I can't wait to meet this new little one and am so glad I have dedicated people all willing to help so I can enjoy my vacation.
Here she is taking her first nap on Rachel's camera bag.
Rachel was able to also take a picture of her first wobbly steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment