Monday, August 28, 2017

Mare MixUP

We had a misty foggy morning after our rain last night. The horses weren't fed until after the walk. Since Flynn was a pain no longer following his mom into the stall, I decided to bring Sally and Rosaleigh into the stall for grain. Sally and Eli were taken in first and fed, then I went into the paddock to get Rosaleigh, and not until I pulled her out did I realize I had pulled out Roxanne, not Rosaleigh. Why that happened I have no idea, they don't even really look alike. Roxanne was put back so Rosaleigh and her colt could be taken into the stall barn. 
Above is Rosaleigh and below is Roxanne
The last of the cat food was fed out which meant a trip to my favorite store, Big R in Pekin, IL. I splurged a bit and bought some of the little Schieich animals that were marked down. I like to keep those in my purse for church toys. NOT for ME, for grandchildren and other little kids. 
When I got back to the farm it was such a nice day I decided to take Anna and Soul back to Middle Grove and bring back Sangria and Oksana. Sangria is due Sept 14th and Oksana is due Sept 21st. Sangria usually goes late but last year Oksana went early so I wanted them here in plenty of time. Even though it rained last night I wasn't worried about getting stuck since I have those really good tires from Riekers. 
They served me well today, easily climbing the hill even though there was some mud AND easily getting out and back on the road with two BIG mares in the trailer. 
When I arrived at Middle Grove Anna and Soul were let out before climbing the big hill. When I got to the top and turned off the truck I could hear the thunder of the herd coming at a gallop. They stopped just past the first set of woods so I walked back and saw Sangria first. She was haltered then went looking for Oksana. I saw this huge mare coming through the woods to meet me and was sure it was Oksana, put a halter on her and led both mares to the trailer. As soon as they were both loaded it was only then I looked at udders to see if they were starting to bag up. Sangria is not at all but when I looked at Oksana's udder I realized, this was NOT Oksana. I was looking at Ayanna's udder. She was promptly unloaded. She is just such a big thick mare I mistook her for one that is due in 3 weeks! The next mare I thought may be Oksana was Ayanna's full sister Rosalie. She too is filling out so well that it is getting hard to tell these full sisters apart. When Oksana came into view though there was no doubt at all who I was looking at. Now part of the reason they were mixed up is that usually Oksana is the first Friesian mare to arrive for attention when people show up, when Ayanna came right over I didn't really look her over well, just assumed it was the horse I wanted. Oksana was loaded up with Sangria and off I drove for home. That was 2 mix ups in one day. Am I losing my mind? Nah, just too many horses that all look like each other. 
If I get off work early tomorrow I'll get updated pictures of both of these heavily pregnant mares and post them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment