Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Dreary Day

We woke this morning to more rain. I actually didn't know it was raining until Darcy asked to be let in and she was all wet. We think Darcy is now fine from eating the sock. At our walk today, mom gave me a can of dog food to give her, she scarfed it up around 8:30 and it is now 4:15pm and she has not thrown up. YEAH!
I will confess it was MY sock she ate. I was so cold coming home and Mark had a fire going in the fireplace. I crashed in front of the fire, took off my wet socks and shoes to dry off and LEFT the socks downstairs.
Mike moved in a new round bale, the last cutting from the farm is not good, we have 3 bales in from that and they are not wanting to eat it. It really was put up too wet. We moved in an alfalfa bale 3 days ago and it was completely gone.
Mark let me order the Dekker book on Amazon. Pretty cool it is the 3 books in 1 for $12.99 plus shipping. I will really look forward to the mail for the next few days.
The money from the Spoon River drive was counted and deposited. For both weekends the vaulters raised $448.00, not too bad for bad weather both weekends.
The rain is suppose to continue for the next 3 days so who knows when we will be able to get the big trailer out of the mud at Middle Grove. At least the weekend is suppose to be sunny, perhaps things will start to dry out, if not we need to wait for a hard freeze to bring home the horses.
We can't post new ads until we get new pictures, it just doesn't pay to post old or bad pictures.
After doing the grocery shopping at Aldi's we needed a good hearty stew for this cold day so Shepherds Pie was on the menu. It is such an easy meal and so tasty. My brother-in-law, Fede Davidovics from Romania taught us how to make it when we were camping. Cut up an onion or 2, we use 2 as we like the flavor, saute the onion until soft, then add cut up meat. I used beef today but pork or lamb works just as well. Cook with the onions until the meat is browned, add a little water and carrots, then peeled cut up potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste, cover with water and simmer for hours. I've just dished out a sample to make sure it is good enough to serve my family for dinner. Yeah RIGHT! So hearty, so warming, and so tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment