Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mercy vs Grace

As I was driving in to work this morning I was using the cell phone leaving a message for Amy Koch. As soon as the message was finished, the phone was put down and I glanced at the speedometer and was shocked to see the car was going quite a bit more than the posted 55 mile an hour limit. My foot was taken off the accelerator but when I looked back at the road there is a police car coming towards me. Now I don't make a habit of speeding, in fact the only ticket I ever received was at 44 years of age and surly that meant the next one would be at 88 years of age. The water tower was a good place to wait for the police car as the policeman had to turn his car around to pull my car over. I was patiently waiting for him when he walked up, handed him my license, while stating, "I know I was going too fast." He asked for proof of insurance which was then also handed to him and off he went to his squad car equipped with the latest computer systems. When he arrived back at my car I was trying to explain, "this is not something I usually do," when he said, "this is just a warning for you to slow down."
Now some people think he showed grace and some people think it was mercy. The true meaning of what he did was mercy. Mercy is that he knew I was guilty but he didn't give me a $120.00 ticket. Grace would have been if he knew I was guilty and knew I was going to have to pay the $120.00 and not only let me off but paid the ticket himself. Isn't that what Jesus did for us, first he showed us mercy even when we didn't ask for mercy and when we do ask for mercy not only does he forgive our sin debt, He paid the price by dying for our sin debt, now that's GRACE!
After work was the all important doctor visit to find out if I would be cleared for surgery or not. I'm cleared! On March 6th my old decrepit right hip will be sawed off and a new one installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment