Monday, April 3, 2023

Miracle Milk Mustache

 What a day, Ruth couldn't come on the walk as her grandchildren spent the night. Instead of walking I left at 7:15 am to go to the Peoria post office to pick up the Berean mail and from there to Sam's club. On the way I was praying about our Easter dinner and pretty much decided to buy a brisket. Last week Sam's had some huge briskets but they were just a little too expensive. I went straight to the meat counter and there was ONE brisket, a 20 pounder marked down to $50.00! I also picked up a key lime pie for the Berean workers and one box of brownie bites. Those were dropped off at the Berean office with the mail but the brownie bites will be taken home tomorrow and served on Sunday as I'm sure not all of those will be eaten. From there I drove to Early Bird Feed in Goodfield to pick up a 40 pound bag of Mark Milk Replacer as Dr. Hoerr informed me this morning that Rosalie's colt is not able to nurse. I was running low on gas so stopped at the gas station next to Busy Corner restaurant but when I hit the lever to open the little gas door cover the cover didn't open. I didn't want to force it open so started driving home and made it. The drywall company was pulling in just as I got home. 


I youtubed the gas cover problem and was able to get some tools to get it open then drove the car to Casey's to fill it up. This car gets on average 41 miles per gallon and it is a 10 gallon tank. When I reached Casey's the car had been driven 410 miles on the last tank of gas and took 9.75 gallons for this tank. That was close. I left from there to drive to Methodist hospital where I had an echocardiogram scheduled at 12:45 pm and made it with 5 minutes to spare.  That took about 45 minutes and I was due at Dr. Hoerr's to pick up Rosalie and her colt at 3:00 pm. I had to drive all the way home from the hospital to get the truck and trailer and made it there by 2:55 pm. Chris and Emma helped me load Rosalie and her colt. He was standing and able to follow Rosalie to the trailer but needed to be picked up and put in. By the time I arrived home he was sound asleep laying in the hay at the front of the trailer. Mark came walking up and helped take him off of the trailer. The water tank was filled and once Rosalie was at the bales eating and the colt by her I took the golf cart to the house to mix up 2 quarts of formula and brought that back with a bottle. THEN came the miracle. He walked over to his mama and started nursing.

I could hardly believe my eyes and ears as I could hear him sucking that milk down. He had a milk mustache when he finished. I took the 2 quarts of formula back up to the house. About an hour later I went back up to check and check out the video below. He knew exactly where to get that delicious milk.
Dr. Hoerr is bucket feeding a foal so if I have time tomorrow afternoon I'll run the bag of mare milk replacer back to the clinic for that foal. Mark and I took the golf cart over to the barn to check out the drywall work. They have the big electric Meister furnace running to help dry out the mudding.
They got a lot of taping and some mudding done.
I need to head back up to the barn to check on Rosalie's colt. According to Dr. Hoerr the colt needs help standing so I need to watch to see if he can get up on his own. IF so he is out of the woods! I ran back up to the barn and if he laid down he got up on his own but I have no idea if he did. He nursed again . Rosalie is being an excellent mother. 

Coming back down to the house the daffodils are glowing in the evening sunshine.
Rizzy goes everywhere with me, below she is waiting for the door to be opened as I'm busy snapping pictures.
What a great day.




No comments:

Post a Comment