Friday, November 27, 2009

The Day After

This may be the only time today I have to post. Our Thanksgiving dinner was one of the easiest dinners we have ever had serving more than 90 people. This was because we had the dinner at the Old School Center in Farmington, IL and the older grandkids all brought food. We had the prayer about 1:15pm and the 2 lines seemed to go off without a problem. There was PLENTY of food for all. After dinner was the awesome volley ball games in the gym, football in the theater, and cozy visiting in the library where the young girls were playing mountain lion and pony. One funny story was trying to tell Kim Sceggel their names, I did very well until I came to a little girl playing with the rest. I just couldn't place her and told Kim, that must be one of Amy Beth's daughters, turned out it was Emily Pence, not even related.
Once the school was cleaned up we headed home with lots of leftovers and wow were they needed. We ended up with a group of 18 big kids here for dinner. I headed over to Morton, IL to take Nancy home around 7:30pm. She was exhausted and by the time I got back to Peoria, so was I so Mark and I headed up to bed around 9:30 and pretty much fell asleep immediately. We were up just before 5:00am and were quietly talking over the day when we heard Addyson start to cry. She really got upset so Ben let me take her downstairs where she just wanted to PLAY. We had a very sweet morning just the 2 of us. Breakfast was planned for 8:30am and Sarah called from her shopping trip around 6:30 to tell us she was bringing 8 more people home for breakfast. I sent Mark to the store for paper plates and napkins, we were completely out, and I didn't want to have another bunch of dishes to wash.
We served 36 farm fresh scrambled eggs, 3 pounds of bacon, 3 pounds of sausage, a huge plate of pancakes with real butter and syrup, sweet black seedless grapes, 2 coffee cakes, fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee, and home made pumpkin bread from Kim. The shoppers made it here in plenty of time with treasures and fun stories. We served 16 hungry people and didn't have very many left overs to put away. They had all been up since 4:00am or EARLIER to get the bargains.
Jon and Kim left for home around 10:00am. Karin was heading out to the farm for a trail ride and she called around 11:00am to tell me Sangria is in season and did I want her bred? Yes, she will be bred then Sangria will now be kept with Raven for the winter as his special companion. Funny, it is now 11:15am and I'm ready for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment