Saturday, November 4, 2023

Trip To Ohio

 I was up at 3:00 am, had a couple cups of coffee, filled a thermos of water and one of coffee then carried that all up to the truck and trailer and pulled out just before 4:00 am. The trip was going well until the gps lady notified me there was a crash on 65 and gave me an alternate route. Not long after she found a better route then came the bad news that there was another crash on 70 and 70 was closed. I had to exit 70 and take a long slow route around a town before getting back on 70. I went to a little town past Columbus, OH called Canal Winchester and then to the end of that town into the country to a farm to pick up a Friesian mare name Basilea and her fill named Thalia. Basilea is also in foal due May 4th, 2024 by the same sire as her 2023 filly.



I'll get better pictures tomorrow. She is a big mare with a good amount of mane. She is registered with the German registry of FPZV. Below is the sire she is in foal by. His registered name is Ellio

Below is Thalia

I was only able to take a few pictures as the drive was so long and I wanted to get home before dark. The loading didn't go so well. Basilea (barn name Lea) had not been loaded for years. She would step in with her front legs then violently throw herself backward. We finally loaded Thalia first, then when Lea stepped in I slammed the trailer door. Since we lost both Oksana and Indy we really wanted a couple more purebred Friesian mares. If Lea has a filly in 2024 we will plan on keeping her.  When I got off the interstate I could see plumes of thick black smoke when I got closer to the airport I could see flames. There was a big fire at the Peoria airport. I didn't hear any sirens and couldn't see any fire engines so maybe this was just a practice fire. Mark brought his car up when I got home and shined his lights in the trailer to make unloading easier. They were both really glad to get out of the trailer. 
I'm glad about the time change tonight I could really use an extra hour of sleep. Although I'll need to be up at the barn early so I can  put Lea and Thalia out on pasture.

No comments:

Post a Comment