Monday, February 5, 2018

Frozen Again

Our low this morning was -2 and again the last paddock had a frozen waterer. It didn't take long to defrost it, just a few minutes with the hair dryer.  I have 2 nursing mom's along with their fillies,  Jenis, EasterBonnet, EllaSkye and Envy all sharing that waterer so for sure it must be checked each morning.
Right after the walk today I drove to Sam's Club to buy a couple roasts, potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms, and celery to make a couple crock pots full of beef stew along with dog food an a lot of other groceries. Since I'm leaving on Saturday evening for Gulf Shores, I spent the rest of the morning making meals to freeze for Mark while I'm gone.  At 11:10 am Gertie called in a panic. She was suppose to meet Taegan's bus at 11:20 am and her garage door wouldn't open. I was chopping onion and more than happy to put that down, jump in the car and meet the bus. Taegan was dropped off then the crock pots started.
My other job today was to pick up Sangria and Serenity from Middle Grove. The snow was suppose to start coming down this afternoon. I had planned to do this after Karin got off work this evening to help load except with the coming snow storm I decided I'd better head out and try to get the job done before the storm hit. When loading a foal we like to have at least 2 people but I felt pretty confident that Serenity would load and I was right. The horses were all hanging around the hay bales when I arrived.
 Lily came right up to greet me, that is Star behind her. Serenity was off to her right also coming up for attention, notice Lily's pinned ears, she was telling Serenity to back off, she was here first. 
 Left to right is Marika, Hadassah, Foxy and behind them is Sally. 
 I just snapped a few pictures as it was still terribly cold. Serenity walked up to the trailer, sniffed the floor and walked right in. I'm so very thankful we trailer the foals a lot back and forth between the two farms and back and forth to the vets. The loading training pays off big time. 

 Serenity needed to come home, her hooves need trimming and now that she is 4 months old I need to get her on a de-worming schedule. We have had some problems de-worming younger than 4 months with diarrhea. As Sangria is not bred back she will be de-wormed with Quest plus while Serenity will be started off with a half dose of Ivermectin, then in 2 weeks Safeguard. It was so cute right after I took them off the trailer Serenity saw Darla and started calling to her, Darla realized who it was,called back and as soon as I put them in the paddock these two left both of their mom's to hang out. They have missed each other ever since we brought Oksana and Darla home for play practice.
I made it home, got all the feeding done and was back in the house before the snow started up. The two full crockpots are putting out a delicious savory smell throughout the house, causing Emma and Ebby to stay in the kitchen begging for treats.
The snow has been falling softly but steadily all evening. We are predicted to get 3-5 inches tonight. It is beautiful but will make things hard in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment