Sunday, May 3, 2015

Sangria's Big Bay Colt

The monitor stopped working at 9:00 pm but Sangria's udder didn't look like she would deliver so I went to bed hoping it would start on it's own. I got up at 11:20 pm to check and since it didn't start working jumped on the golf cart to unplug and replug which always seems to get it going again. Sangria was very restless so Sheena was moved into the stall without the monitor and Sangria was moved over then both stalls cleaned. At 4:00 am I awoke to check the monitor and there was a foal up and nursing. I'm not sure what hour he was born but am sure it was not 'Derby Day!'


At first since the foal was nursing I tried to go back to bed but of course the mind is racing with everything that needs to be done before leaving for church this morning so decided to head up to the barn to find out if this was a colt or filly. She seemed fine the colt seemed fine but when I went back to the house and was watching on the monitor it was obvious around 5:00 am Sangria started to colic. I grabbed a tube of Banimine and gave her a dose as she was laying down. The colt decided to also stand up around that time to nurse. Even though she was in pain she was able to get up and let him nurse then once he was finished back down she went. I'm praying the Banimine works quickly and is enough to stop the colic. If it doesn't this will mean a trip to U of I for Sangria, her colt and ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment