Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bunni's Loss

When I started this blog, it was determined whether good or bad it would be written down. Bunni delivered a beautiful pitch black filly sometime during the night and the filly suffocated. When I arrived early this morning the foal is lying in the stall with the birthing sack wrapped around her mouth and nose then up behind her head. It had a hole around the eyes and face where Bunni must have tried to opened the sack but the opening was not large enough to get her little face out. It was obvious she struggled but no one was there to help. There are many if only-s running around my brain. If only I would have spent the night, and if only I would have tested her. This was a totally unnecessary loss and easily prevented and I blame myself for Bunni's grief. Mike got the Yanmar out to bury the filly and the stalls are now cleaned and prepared for the next birthing.
Samantha was tested this morning and she is progressing, not what we want, we want her to hold off for at least another week.

1 comment:

  1. what a bummer....so sad, we've missed both of our births because they were early, and everything went just fine w/out us...like it's supposed to go....I guess it's just one of those things.

    ReplyDelete