Friday, November 26, 2021

Really COLD

The weather outside was frightful this morning 18 degrees and windy. Of course that meant working on water that is getting water to the horses but before heading out the pot of boiled turkey carcass was brought inside to warm up a bit. The golf cart had a flat tire which made it harder to get things done quickly.  I needed to walk to the very front of the new barn to grab the extension cord, haul that back and plug it into the breeding shed. Of course it wasn't long enough which meant getting another extension cord from the indoor arena but that also wasn't long enough. Mark found a small section with a 3 way plug that worked. The hair dryer was brought out, plugged in and placed inside Valiant's waterer and turned on.  The heater inside that waterer was also plugged in and the waterer wrapped.  While that was defrosting the far paddock waterer was checked. The weanlings were in the far paddock and I was really pleased to see that one working. The middle paddock was frozen as was Ribbon's paddock where Evan has been staying for the last few days.  Once I got Valiant's waterer unfrozen and working it had warmed up a bit into the 20s. Mark drove to the Casey's in Hanna City picked up diesel fuel for the tractor and skid steer to get them ready for the winter. The tractor was started and let warm up a bit before moving a round bale in Evan's paddock. He was moved back into his own paddock which had a working waterer.  Another bale was put in the middle paddock so the weanlings have plenty of hay.  The cabin horses were fed and their waterer checked. Thankfully that is working well. By this time I was pretty frozen so went inside to finish the turkey soup. I took a bowl over to mom's and found Ruth and Karin busy decorating her house for Christmas.  They needed more Christmas lights and I had extra so ran home to get some only to get a message that the Hospice service was on the way to pick up the Hoyer machine and drop off a new wheel chair for mom. I took the golf cart back over to mom's to take the Christmas lights over and let them know to have the machines ready.  Mom wanted to play Mexican train so the 4 of us played while Aunt Jinnie worked on her needle point.  Mom did very well and is improving on that. When the truck came to drop off the wheel chair and pick up the Hospice machines I started stringing lights on mom's deck. That was another cold job. I didn't wear gloves as I was trying to go fast and gloves were hindering the progress but by the time I was done my fingers were frozen.  I took the picture below after dark. 

At 1:30 the 3 dogs at Joan's house needed to be let out of the garage. Joan's family went to Bluffton to have Thanksgiving with Bill and Bethany.  Diesel came when called, Kabur came when called but Leo ran away.
The other two were locked back in the garage but when I walked over to Leo he growled at me. That meant I had to grab him by the back of his neck and flip him upside down all the while yelling at him as he was trying to bite my hand. He gave up and when I let him up he practically dragged me back to the garage as I wouldn't let go of his collar.  Should have brought treats and planned on that for the next trip over at 8:30 pm.  Since it was too cold to work any longer outside and I didn't want to work inside (there are dishes to do from the soup making) I decided to search for a place to stay for our Sceggel vacation. I found a place, sent it to the kids, they all approved so booked it. We will be going to Table Rock Lake the first week of August 2022. At 8: 30 I took a hot dog over to Joan's house, let the 3 dogs out and this time they were all glad to come back. In fact I think I'm now Leo's best friend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment