Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Foal Album

Our morning started at 1:29 am. My phone went off twice at that time which meant I'd better get up and check it out.  It was the shipper bringing the mare that was suppose to arrive this morning between 5:00 am and 8:00 am. Their eta was now 3:15 am.  I asked what kind of a rig they were driving and very quickly came the answer it is an 18 wheeler with a 51 ft trailer.  There is no way to get that big of a rig to make the turn going into the drive and then up the drive so I sent a text back that I would meet him at the road and lead the mare up. I went back to bed but couldn't sleep so got up at 2:30 to get flashlights ready to go only I couldn't find my flashlights. Then I remembered the grandchildren love to play with them and found them all in an upstairs bedroom but they had been left on and the batteries were dead. Thankfully I have LOTS of batteries.  The two lanterns were put on the golf cart, the barn lights and stall lights were turned on and then I waited.  Mark offered to come down to the road to help and his help was needed. The semi truck and trailer arrived at 3:10 am.
Below is the driver, he got the ramp down and was getting ready to lead the mare.
 The mare's name is Lotus and she is a 14 year old Thoroughbred mare here to be bred to Evan.  Mark got the paper work and then drove the golf cart up the hill and to the barn while I sat on the back holding Lotus' lead rope. She followed well.She was taken right into the stall where she immediately started eating the hay I had put in the night before.
 The monitor was turned on and by the time I got back to the house she had settled down, drank some water and was back to grazing on the hay. 
Mark and I went back to bed and slept until 5:40 am.  Ryan, our farmer told me yesterday that he was coming to cut the hay today and I needed to get the truck and trailer moved so he could get the tractor into the field. The truck was dead and Mark couldn't get the battery to charge at all so we dragged it out of the way with the tractor. I was a little late joining the walkers.  At the cabin, Mike had us go in and look at the fireplace. There was a snake skin that stretched from the handle of the fireplace door all the way across and down to the floor. Another snake skin was coming from inside the fireplace hanging down.
Diane and Mike are raising some BIG snakes in that cabin. The snakes eat mice and the mice would love to live in the cabin so maybe since Mike and Diane don't have a cat, the snakes are taking their place. We haven't seen any mice or mice droppings in the cabin. This afternoon Cinnamon was moved into the short shelter paddock. Abby was teased then moved in with her.  Lotus was taken down and teased to Evan. She was a no show so was moved into the paddock next to Evan. Hopefully she will come in soon.
Ryan didn't come and the hay didn't get cut. Rain is predicted by Sunday so it may now be too late to cut but all of our neighbors got their hay cut.
Yesterday I worked on the mare album and today I tackled the foal album. We know we have produced well over 300 foals but I haven't updated the photogallery foal page as well as I should have and some of our customer's haven't sent updated pictures. If you have a foal by one of our Horsemeister stallions and want them added to this album please feel free to email or Facebook pictures and tell me the sire and dam and maybe the year the foal was born. If you would like to see this album click HERE.
Another booking came in for the barn apartment. This one is coming with 2 horses and need to use the stalls.
tonight was family night at the fellowship hall. The turnout was really good, even the parking lot was full.  Mike and Carol were in charge of the meal serving roast beef and hot ham and cheese sandwiches along with a very good salad, nuts, chips and of course bars and cookies.
Bob Hoerr had the message on the 'butterfly effect' .

No comments:

Post a Comment