Monday, September 21, 2026

Harli Pregnant

 Instead of walking today Ruth and I drove the golf cart over to Joan's house, picked up Joan and Berlica and drove over to the horses. I needed help loading Harli, her colt, Rosaleigh's colt and Dancer for their 8:30 am vet appointment. I was VERY glad for their help and glad we had practiced yesterday. Harli and the 2 foals were loaded into the front. Dancer was in the pond pasture across the dam grazing with Jewel, Penny and Jury. Berlica and I took the golf cart over to pick Dancer up. Joan and Ruth were still at the trailer waiting to help. Dancer walked right into the trailer and I was on the way by 7:50 am.  I arrived right at 8:30 am and Dr. Hoerr was ready for us. He wanted to do Dancer first. 

We wanted to make sure she was not pregnant before we sell her and she needed a new coggins test. I also had him check to see if her wolf teeth were removed. I was pretty sure we had done that when she was 2 years old but wanted to make sure. The wolf teeth were removed earlier and she was open. We took her outside for the pictures required for the coggins test. She was loaded right back up into the back of the trailer and then came the test. Could I get Harli out of the side door of the trailer and leave both colts inside. Well that happened with no drama at all. Harli was put in the stocks for the ultrasound first. Not only did she settle we could also see a heart beat. 
She was bred to Evan and is due July 29th, 2027. Next Dr. Hoerr needed to check her cheek where she had an abscess. That had healed up well but when there is an abscess in that area it can be a tooth problem. Dr. Hoerr could feel a bony bump but no sign of infection. His guess was the first time we saw the abscess she had gotten a splinter or foreign object in that area and the second abscess was when that foreign object made it's way out. However we will keep a watch on it just in case it would happen again. Dr. Hoerr was also asked about her itchy skin. He said she is hyper sensitive to the no-see-ums those tiny little gnats that bite. He said that will disappear as the weather cools.  The next job was to get the colts out through the side door for their blood draws and pictures. Merlin was happy to jump out as his mama was right there. He stood perfectly for the blood draw and reasonably well for the pictures. I had to shove Rosaleigh's colt out. He thought it was too high to step down. He also stood very well for the blood draw. Dr. Hoerr took one look at him and said, "that's a nice colt!"  I was sure to tell his owner that. I asked Harli to get in the side door and was pleased when she jumped in. The two colts needed a little encouragement but both made the big jump inside. When we got back to the farm Dance was unloaded first then Harli out the back. I had taken the halter off of her colt and thought he would follow Harli off the trailer but instead he stayed with Rosaleigh's colt.
Those two boys decided they would rather stay in the trailer than jump down and it wasn't near as big of a step from the side door at the vet clinic. I finally got some grain and Merlin jumped down. He was put away while I was waiting for Rosaleigh's colt to make up his mind and jump down. After about 15 minutes I finally called Mark and asked him to come help but before he arrived the colt calmly stepped off of the trailer. I was glad Mark came though as once the truck and trailer were put away I had a ride back to the house.  This afternoon Mark and Mackenson cleaned up the manure spreader getting rid of any net wrap stuck on the back then cleaned the gutters here at the house.
My guests at the farm house asked if I had a large umbrella he could borrow. We had rain today and more rain is predicted tomorrow so I took one over and put it in the garage for him. The mares in the pond pasture saw me on the golf cart and came to the fence to see if I had anything for them.
Since I had no airbnb's to clean or flip I made Mark a fancy feast tonight for supper. He had shrimp cocktail with  home made cocktail sauce and lemons as a start, then pulled pork with bbq sauce, an egg roll with sweet and sour sauce and a salad with blue cheese crumbles.  He was very pleased with that dinner. We will have some ice cream for our dessert tonight but later. I worked on the website updating the mares in foal page. We are expecting 15 foals for 2027.








No comments:

Post a Comment