Thursday, May 26, 2022

The Calvary Arrives

 We are hosting rotating potluck tomorrow so today really was cleaning day.  I had been working on the house during the week but Rhoda and Sarah decided they would help out and come this afternoon.  Rosaleigh and her filly were put in the new barn pasture then left. They were glad for the grass. At 1:00 pm I started hearing thunder so went to put them inside and had just gotten them in the indoor when the heavens opened and the rain came thundering down.  I had not brought my phone out with me so no pictures but it was coming down so hard I couldn't see the breeding shed from the indoor and the noise was shocking of that much rain hitting the roof. I was stuck in the barn so ended up working out there until the rain slowed down a bit but even then came back drenched.  We ended up with an inch and a quarter of rain in the rain gauge in that one storm that lasted less than an hour. Sarah and Zion arrived first so we walked back up to the barn to see Rosaleigh's filly.


When Rhoda arrived we all went back to work. Zion was a very good helper.
We finished before 6:00 pm. Nolan picked up Zion so Rhoda, Sarah, Mark and I decided to go to Scapecci's for their Thursday night special which is an 8 ounce steak with 2 sides for $13.00.
Our salad's came early so those aren't pictured. The meal was truly delicious. 
After dinner we stopped at Bs drive in for soft serve icecream for dessert.  We got home just before 8:00 pm. Mark went up to the barn to put some camping gear away and told me that white horse may be having a baby.  I went running out all happy only to find that white horse was not Jury, it was Soul and she was in a full blown colic.  I got her out of the paddock, had Mark take her to the outdoor arena while I ran down to the house to get 10 cc's of Banamine.  She was given that at 8:08 pm.  I had cleaned her off by hosing her down and she tolerated that pretty well not trying to drop and roll.  She was taken to the indoor and by 8:40 pm had dropped but was not trying to roll.  I let her go and just watched. Her colt was running around her thinking this was a good game.
I came down to the house to get more meds, posted this and now am heading back up. Soul is not a candidate for colic surgery so I really am praying it is not serious. I'll do my best to keep her comfortable.  Her colt is just over a month old so if she doesn't make it I will need to pick up milk substitute and get him started on bucket feeding.  Right now she is letting him nurse standing quietly while he does. This is not the way I wanted this day to end.





No comments:

Post a Comment