Friday, September 6, 2024

Friday's Activities

Mark went out early this morning to finish weed wacking the paddock he mowed yesterday. 

Diane, Ruth and I were walking to Joan's house, reached the retention dam when Joan came around the corner. As today is Friday, she has Co-op so we didn't know she would be walking but she had a quick errand to do at Rachel's house so we just walked there then walked Joan home. I left at that point as my airbnb guests were coming in early today. They wanted to set up the gym for their wedding on Saturday and the living area of the barn for their rehearsal dinner tonight. Mark mowed the wedding area again. They needed it really short as they are using a rug runner for the procession. 
Jacob arrived with his big truck and trailer to haul the skid steer to Hoerr Equipment.
The battery was 4 years old and starting to fail. Changing the battery in a skid steer is a big deal. They have to take the machine apart to get to the old battery. Jacob loaded it. 
Madiera and her colt were put in the outdoor arena for grain. After the walk I spent some time removing burrs from Madiera's mane, forelock and tail. That was so bushy by the time I got most out.
She has a very thick mane and tail. The colt has some burrs but each time I was removing them he stepped away and I didn't have a halter on him. Those will need to be removed later. As Diane has guests coming into the Cowboy Cabin Madiera was led over to there. I assumed the colt would follow but he saw Missy and Cookie who were neighing for him and ran to them. Once Madeira was at the cabin I went back and got Jury out. That colt was glad to follow Jury over to the cabin. The paddock with Jewel, Sally and Mike's 2 Thoroughbred mares needed a new bale. The back gate was opened so they could go into the pasture. The three of them took off running while Candy stayed by the gate to graze. 

The back gate was shut so they couldn't get back in the paddock. That way I could leave the front gate open for the tractor bringing the bale in. I took the picture after the bale was dropped.
The middle paddock also needed a bale but Missy and Cookie were waiting each time so I dropped the bale, wrapped it then went down the house to ask Mark to help.
He came right up to help drive it in while I kept the mares from running out.
Our airbnb guests arrived for the foaling apartment. They were hoping to see a foal so I drove them over on the golf cart to the cabin field see the horses there. Madiera's colt came right up for some petting. They love horses so were thrilled to see and pet a foal. I took them the back way home and when we were in the field a bald eagle flew over our heads, circled around us then kept flying higher. They took pictures when it was closer to us but by the time I pulled my phone out the eagle was pretty high over us. Each time it would turn the sun would catch her white tail and that white would glow.
It really was quite impressive. The airbnb guests are an elderly couple (probably our age) but were thrilled to see one in the wild. This just made their stay. They will be here until Sunday morning. I was doing laundry at the house when Mark wanted my help installing another board 12 feet up in his garage. He wants to use it for his new chain hoist and the board going across needed to be strengthened. 
It took both of us lifting to get that second board up that high. Mark was able to stand on the storm shelter for one side. The 8 foot ladder worked for the second side. 
Both of us were tired by the time we got it securely up. We were going to go to the Bartonville Diner for supper but were just to tired. Instead I made a big chef salad and we also had some brisket left over that was heated up and added to that meal. The laundry is now finished, the bed now has clean sheets, the dishwasher loaded and the kitchen cleaned up. A long busy day but we should both sleep good tonight. 








No comments:

Post a Comment